Saturday, June 12, 2010

Back to School!


I started my SoS this week, and I can't believe it has been a whole year since I volunteered at Meadowbrook Academy. Last summer, I completed my SoS at this site and learned so much. Although the actual work may not have been that inspiring, the relationships that I formed with the staff members of the school while working with them are ones that I will always cherish. Of course these relationships were already somewhat formed before I began my SoS because I had been a student at Meadowbrook since I was in second grade. Last summer the relationships that I had with the staff members became even stronger, and for that I am so grateful! Needless to say, I was pretty excited to come back and see everyone again.

It was the last week of school so everyone was very busy working on all of the last minute events of the year. My task for this week was to help with the Kindergarten graduation. At Meadowbrook, this is quite a big deal for both the kids and their parents. The graduation is themed as "A Day in Kindergarten" meaning the teacher and the students perform for the parents a small skit or song that relates to each subject they are taught. The students spend much of the second half of the year learning poems, songs, and skits to perform at their graduation. The weeks leading up to the graduation are spent practicing on stage and working on getting everyone ready to graduate. This week I was assigned to help with the backstage work. I worked with three other girls to make sure that each child had their costume/prop and that they were ready to go on stage and show everyone how much they had learned.

Although I was only with these students for a week, it was so much fun to get the chance to work with them even if it was only for a short time. After the graduation was over, many of them told us goodbye and the teacher thanked us for all of our hard work, I guess this just goes to show that it doesn't take long to make an impact.

*Above is a picture of the adorable Kindergarten class right after graduating!


No comments:

Post a Comment