Tuesday, June 1, 2010

CSL SoS - Week 4

I can't believe I'm currently on my fifth week here. It has gone by SO fast.

During week four, I spent most of my time going out into the community to interview our partners. We averaged about four or five appointments per day, which meant our days were insanely busy. I'm thoroughly enjoying this part, mainly because it has been giving me an opportunity to reconnect with some of the partners I haven't seen in a while due to my British expeditions (Brenda at the Neighborhood Center gave me a big hug!!).

Every time I leave an interview, I want to change my service site to that partner. There are so many amazing things going on in this community to support and improve itself. At the same time, there is so much NEED ... it's almost overwhelming. I'm trying to figure out which site I want to work with in the fall, because I feel like I'm yet to find my niche. There are so many great options, but I haven't seen one that screams ME. Which is kind of frustrating. Perhaps with the CBR and with this database project, I'll find that place and get started making a difference.

Little progress was made last week with my CBR project due to our jam-packed schedule. Dr. Schorr looked over the questions I want to use to interview various food assistance agencies and approved them, which was an awesome step. Starting tomorrow, I'll start setting up appointments to meet with those agencies, a step I'm excited/semi-nervous about.

In the evenings, I've been preparing for the upcoming Civil Rights trip by reading dreadfully dull books and making futile attempts at writing the required essays. To be honest, I'm really excited to get this reading over with so I can relax and finally read some books for pleasure. I also can't wait for the trip itself - we get to go so many historically significant places and meet some incredibly influential people from the Civil Rights Movement. That starts Friday, so combine that with the holiday yesterday, and I've got a very short week this week!

Until next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment