Thursday, June 24, 2010

The First Week at the CSL

So after a week and a half after Woodward's last day of school, I started my first day at the CSL on Tuesday. At 6am, I drove three hours to arrive by 9. As I got out of the car, Tyce was just about to go on a visit with Tiger Bay, one of our potential community partners on Inernational Speedway and he invited me to join. We hopped in his car and looked for Smokey the Bear on the side fo the road and then ahd to make a u-turn to get to the entrance. The meeting itself lasted for about and hour and a half. The two people we talked to, Veda and Steve are very excited about working with Stetson. When we got back to the CSL, I pretty much observed most of the day. I found a few phone numbers for my service partners, looked for a few grants and working on a project we hope to start soon. (Jarian, Tiffany, Amanda B - you guys probably can guess what it is.) We were going to start making phone calls to our community partners but it started to thunder...Maria and I decided that it would be best to wait till it was over. We ended calling them on Wednesday and invited them to participate in a new program for our incoming Bonners in the fall. Everyone that we spoke to were excited to be taking part in it.

Today is only my third day. I must admit, compared to my time at Woodward, this is definitely not my cup of tea. Maybe it's because I just started and Maria is doing a wonderful job. Although, it is cool to know the inside scoop before everyone else. Not that there's anythign we are really keeping a secret. I'm excited fo this coming year with some new ideas that we plan to implement. Maria's last day is on friday and then I'll be alone during the week :(

Pretty soon, I will be applying for the Pepsi Refresh Project for a grant for Woodward. This project is based upon votes throughout the month. Once it has been submitted, I will send everyone a link to vote. (Please vote!). There, you can also find details on what the grant would be for.

No comments:

Post a Comment