Thursday, June 24, 2010

Passed the halfway point...

The other day I realized I had passed the halfway point of my Summer in Germany. I began to think of the different things I've done in the past few weeks and the successes and failures I've experienced. I clean floors, play chess and build friendships with underprivileged people, sing songs with kids and their mothers, pass out food to the underprivileged, chaperon kids' week, live with the best host-family, tutor English to students and help in an after school cafe for students. My days are so busy with these this and I don't realize how fast it's going by. I really love my job(s) here at the Salvation Army and the experiences that come along with it/them.

Cleaning floors is mildly boring but luckily it doesn't take a great deal of effort or time. I really enjoy my time spent in the cafe for homeless/poor/underprivileged people. One man there is a chess-playingaholic and usually indulges in destroying me in chess at least once or twice a day. Because the Captain of the Salvation Army can play so many instruments, she leads a Mommy and Me music program. I help out during the program and also with preparation and cleanup; mainly consisting of laying out and putting the mats away, as well as cleaning the dishes after the mothers have had a small brunch that we provide. During the program I sing songs with the kids and chaperon them when they play on the slide and with the other toys we provide. Every Friday night the Salvation Army hosts a soup kitchen at the main train station in Freiburg. We bring bread (freshly baked and donated!) and some type of warm meal, as well as a variety of drinks to the train station. There is always a line and usually some type of confrontation between a few of our... patrons? but it is really cool to see the type of community the Salvation Army facilitates for these people and what becomes of it.

The biggest challenge for me so far has been accepting that the Salvation Army is a religious movement and that, by working with them, I represent and support religion. I was raised a Christian but now consider myself to be Agnostic. Having to go to Church every Sunday isn't terrible but in some ways a nuisance. Not only is it a bit difficult to understand as my German isn't 100% fluent, but, like I said, I don't support the religion. It isn't a big deal and though I said it was my 'biggest challenge' it really isn't a chore or anything. I recognize the reasons why I must and should go to the church that the Salvation Army hosts every Sunday. I may not believe in the religion being preached but I should understand it and accept it as I am a representative of the Salvation Army during my time here and they were founded on religious values.

This weekend is 'Family Weekend' for the different Salvation Armies in South-Western Germany. I believe there are three different S.A.'s coming together on Saturday to have a big picnic and church service in a nearby park. It should be fun and I will of course add the experience in my next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment